Sunday, June 14, 2009

Cycling

I have been training the last few months for a long bike ride called the Seattle to Portland Bicycle Classic, which is an organized bike ride (about 10,000 people participate each year) from Seattle to Portland the second weekend of July. The ride is 206 miles. Most people do it in 2 days, but about 25% of riders each year do it in one day. I'm going to do it in two days this year. I've ramped up my mileage each week in preparation for the ride, and yesterday completed my first 100+ mile ride in one day (with 5,200 feet of elevation gain too). It took 5 hours 45 minutes.

Here are some interesting sights I've seen around the Seattle area on my bike over the last few months:

1. Snoqualmie Falls. The ride up to the top is only a couple miles long and the grade is a steady and reasonable 5%. The view at the top is amazing.


2. On my most recent ride up to Snoqualmie Falls I heard a police motorcycle siren behind me, followed shortly by the throaty, growling sound of cars with big engines. I then got passed by one Lamborghini, two Lamborghinis, three Lamborghins, four, wow!, five, six, seven, how many are there?, eight, nine, and then a procession of about 20 Ferraris, Porches and some classic sports cars. They were headed up to the Salish Lodge (a nice hotel at the top of the falls) for some sort of Lamborghini club event. Here are some shots of the procession of cars and some of the Lamborghinis. I got to see them again as I passed them going up the hill because the valet parking attendants at the Salish Lodge couldn't park the cars as fast as they were arriving. So, I guess I can also say I've ridden my bike up a hill faster than a Lamborghini.




3. Here is a shot of Lake Sammamish from on top of Cougar Mountain (about 1,450 feet). Not sure whose house this is, but they've got quite the view.


4. This is Mount Si in North Bend, Washington. I've hiked to the top before with Laura (and Carina, who we carried up in a baby backpack).


5. You know you are in a rural area when you see this kind of sign by the side of the road:


6. And, lastly for now, I happened to stop for a drink in front of this house and noticed the fenced in pen in front of the house was full of kangaroos (or maybe wallabies). I wasn't expecting to see that in the Snoqualmie valley east of Seattle. My phone couldn't zoom in on them well, but they are visible in the full size picture (which you can see by double clicking on the picture).

2 comments:

Sheralie said...

I love the photo of the kangaroo - what an interesting time you have cycling. Good for you!! It is nice for a busy lawyer to have a stress relieving pastime :)

R and R said...

Wow. That is exhausting. I am lucky to get some walking in every week, let alone miles of cycling. Good luck!