Thursday, July 3, 2008

July 4, 200,000,000 b.c.

Kids have a funny sense of time.


While driving to the store earlier today, Carina and I were got talking about the 4th of July. I explained that it is called Independence Day because it was the day the United States declared its independence from England. Carina nodded her head as she listened and said: "Yeah, that was a long time ago, before I was born and even before you and mom or grandma and granpa were born. That was back when Laura [Ingalls Wilder] was alive." (Carina and I have been reading the Little House on the Prairie books together for the last year, and are on the second to last book.)



I explained to Carina that the declaration of independence was made even before Laura was alive. Carina seemed taken aback by this and said, in a surprised voice, "You mean they made the declaration of independence back when dinosaurs were on the earth!?!" I clarified that, actually, the dinosaurs died before the declaration of independence was made and I could see the wheels in her head spinning while she tried to fathom how people could have been around before Laura without dinosaurs running around.

No comments: